Your spinal health is important. From the time you get out of bed in the morning until you lay back down at night, your spine is responsible for carrying out your daily movements. At the same time, your spine is also responsible for behind-the-scenes work that supports your body’s vital functions, including your central nervous system. If you suffer from issues stemming from your spine, you may face larger health consequences.
At Prima CARE, we want you to understand the importance of spinal health. That is why we offer a variety of chiropractic and physical therapy services to ensure healthy living for our patients. If you are struggling with back pain, consider one of our various chiropractic care options:
What is Chiropractic Care?
The purpose of chiropractic treatment is to help relieve pain, improve bodily functions, and emphasize your body’s ability to naturally heal itself. This system of therapy is generally accomplished through spinal manipulation. Chiropractors will often use a hands-on approach to apply a controlled thrust to a joint in your spine, which adjusts your body’s alignment. While chiropractic care is mainly focused on spinal manipulation, it can also include postural and exercise education and ergonomic training.
- Postural exercise education- The way in which we sit or stand on a daily basis can impact the stiffness or pain we experience in our neck or back. In postural exercise education, a patient’s posture is assessed in both a sitting and standing position. This allows chiropractors to develop an individualized treatment plan for the patient’s needs. The treatment plan may include which areas of the body a patient should frequently stretch depending on their postural tendencies.
- Ergonomic training- Similarly to postural education, ergonomic training is intended to increase posture awareness and allow patients to understand how their posture during the work day may impact their back or neck pain. Desk height, chair type, and keyboard position are all taken into consideration.
- Nutritional counseling- While we do not often consider the connection between our food choices and chiropractic care, of chiropractors who participated in a study in 2007 reported that they provide nutritional counseling in their practices. This is because chiropractors treat patients struggling with inflammatory conditions. Research suggests that less processed foods, high amounts of fruits and vegetables, and drinking more water are diet changes that can improve systemic inflammation.
What are Chiropractic Care Benefits?
Did you know that chiropractors treat over Americans each year? If you are someone who struggles with back pain or neck pain, chiropractic care is one of the best ways to achieve pain relief. Are you wondering if chiropractic care is right for you? Here are some of the benefits of this treatment option:
- Relieves lower back pain- The American College of Physicians (ACP) recommends that patients who are struggling with chronic low back pain should begin pain-relief treatment with non-drug therapy such as spinal manipulation. Chiropractors restore functionality and range of motion to the back by readjusting your body’s spinal alignment.
- Helps neck pain- Chiropractic care focused on relieving neck pain is called cervical manipulation. Chiropractors manually twist the neck to snap vertebrae back into alignment, reducing pain caused by pinched nerves and muscle spasms in the neck.
- Helps relieve headaches- In addition to treating musculoskeletal pain, realignment of the spine can improve spinal function and alleviate stress on the nervous system. This reduces the buildup of stress and tension that causes headache pain and allows your body to function more normally.
- May reduce scoliosis symptoms- Scoliosis is a sideways curvature of the spine that affects nearly . Chiropractic care can provide a non-invasive treatment option for scoliosis that can reduce joint restrictions or spinal misalignments. This can improve the function of the affected joint and nervous system.
My First Chiropractic Visit: What to Expect
At Prima CARE, we provide a wide range of led by our board-certified orthopedic physicians. If you are seeking pain relief and considering visiting one of our chiropractic specialists, here is what you can expect during your visit:
- Physical exam- To gain a better assessment of your pain, a chiropractor may perform a physical examination. This includes feeling your spine, moving your joints, and evaluating how you walk. Depending on these results, your specialist may order an X-ray.
- Spinal manipulation- During this session, a chiropractor will use their hands to apply force to different joints of your spine. This procedure will realign your joints and increase your range of motion.
- Treatment plan- Based on your symptoms and exam findings, a chiropractor from our care team will work with you to create a treatment plan. This may include nutritional or dietary advice, icing or heat therapy, massages, exercises and stretches, or suggestions for managing stress to reduce tension in your muscles.
Looking for a chiropractic care near you? Prima CARE’s chiropractic care specialists and offer in our Fall River, MA and Tiverton, RI locations. Do not allow back or neck pain to continue disrupting the quality of your life. an appointment at Prima CARE today.