Click here to apply
Positon: Endoscopy Nurse (RN)
Location: Fall River, MA
Job Type: Full - Time
The Endoscopy Nurse participates in all areas: pre procedure, recovery, procedure room and patient care and assumes responsibility for consistent and proper functioning of the endoscopy equipment and rooms. The RN utilizes a high quality standard of care and nursing processes consistent with current practice and updated knowledge to collaborate with other health care disciplines, encompassing the needs of the patient. The duties and responsibilities of the Endoscopy Nurse shall include but not be limited to the following:
- Admits patients to GI Endoscopy Suite and assists physician or anesthesia provider during the procedure.
- Depending upon situation, may recover patient in recovery room.
- Assist in emergency cart maintenance.
- May assist in ordering and inventorying medications, or pre procedure instruction.
- Count medication and narcotics.
- Presents in a friendly, courteous, and helpful manner in all interactions with patients and offices.
- Checks patient vital signs.
- Demonstrates knowledge of policy and procedures
- Communicates with patient and documents patient’s history.
- When covering the procedure rooms the RN is responsible for clear documentation of procedure on procedure record.
- Nurses that are GI trained will assist GI physicians performing procedures when needed
- Utilizes safety measures.
- Accurately documents specimens.
- Knows emergency protocol.
- Capable of starting IV with maximum of two attempts, if needed.
- Chooses appropriate site for IV insertion.
- For recovery room—follows standing recovery room orders - Documents post procedure progress in the recovery room - Checks on additional physician orders, keeps patient until discharge criteria are met.
- Improves and/or supports others in improving the health and well-being of all patients through excellence in patient care.
- Demonstrates adequate understanding of procedures and expected post procedure course.
- Displays complete knowledge and understanding of peri-operative nursing care in the endoscopic freestanding ambulatory setting.
- Admits patients to pre procedure area, assesses patient and prepares patient for procedure.
- Receives patient from procedure and evaluates needs of patient, administers care accordingly. Compares stability of vital signs with pre-op to establish parameters.
- Assesses and documents patient status; carries out treatments and/or orders; gives post procedure instructions; and makes post procedure telephone calls.
- Demonstrates awareness of symptoms and possible complications of procedure, anesthesia and initial treatment.
- Knowledge should be up-to-date on the actions of all pharmaceuticals and anesthetic agents.
- Administers nursing care following established policies for the technical aspects of care, i.e., medication administration and care of IV sites.
- Utilizes the nursing process in patient assessment including the physical, psychosocial, neurological and educational needs of the patients.
- Accepts full responsibility for all nursing care needed by patients, including treatments, IV starts, monitoring vital signs and patient teaching.
- Implements physician’s orders accurately with the knowledge and understanding of each order.
- Takes appropriate action in emergency situations such as cardiac/respiratory crises or arrests, drug reactions, fire or disaster occurrences.
- Demonstrates knowledge and utilization of Universal Precautions in the care of the patient during the pre- and post-procedure period and during procedure, i.e., proper hand washing technique, wearing of gloves and proper disposal of needles and infectious waste.
- Demonstrates knowledge of age-specific care needs of patients, i.e., adult and geriatric.
- Documentation is complete and accurate following established policies and procedures of the GI Endoscopy Suite.
- Communicates and collaborates effectively with the patient and family, peers and all members of the health care team.
- Maintains optimal nursing practice through planned continuous professional growth.
- Ensures a safe and aesthetic environment in accordance with established policies and procedures for the GI Endoscopy Suite.
- Oversees MA’s if they are working in the pre or post procedure areas and oversees GI Technicians in the procedure rooms.
- Attends annual facility and departmental fire/safety and infection control training and maintains current knowledge of safety procedures within the GI Endoscopy Suite.
Benefits for our Permanent Placements Include:
- Medical, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance
- 401K/ROTH and Safe Harbor Plans
- Paid Time Off
Minimum Requirements and Skills:
- Current state RN license.
- Previous experience in admitting, procedure or recovery room role in an ambulatory setting
- ACLS certified or at a minimum BCLS certified with willingness to become ACLS certified within 6 month period
- Vaccine record
- A member of the SGNA or is willing to join in up to one year of employment. PrimaCARE will reimburse the yearly cost of this membership.
- Analytical ability necessary to make sure that procedures are completed ensuring maximum nursing care/support is rendered to the patient, the procedure room staff, anesthesia staff and the physicians at all times
- The interpersonal skills necessary to communicate effectively with patients/families, surgeons and to cooperate with the other nurses and staff in the delivery of patient care
- Emotional/mental ability to perform effectively and efficiently under daily pressure of stressful or emergency situations
- Physical ability necessary for almost constant standing, walking and lifting. A high level of stamina also necessary for the frequent transportation of patients and the carrying of supplies and medical equipment
- Required Licensure/Certification: RN
- Area of Expertise: Pre-admit, Recovery, G.I. Procedure Room
About PrimaCARE, P.C.:
Prima Care, P.C. was founded in 1996 and is a large, multi – specialty medical group serving southeastern New England. With over 150 providers, including primary care physicians and a broad range of specialists, we offer quality health care, a diversity of services and treatments, convenient and friendly service, and state –of-the-art testing facilities to support your diagnosis and treatments.
In addition to our main Fall River campus and walk-in Center, Prima Care has medical offices and Walk In centers in Somerset, Westport, and Dartmouth, as well as satellite offices in Tiverton, Rhode Island. We also provide care in patient’s homes, nursing homes and hospitals and two Outpatient Physical Therapy clinics located in Fall River and Somerset, MA.
We live and work by the golden rule and our company values that include integrity, respect, professionalism, ethical behavior and partnership.